Tuesday, May 3, 2011

GREAT GRANDFATHER CONKLIN and his grandkids

Back Row: Aunt Val, Lauran Jr, Carol, Grandpa Conklin, James and Uncle Bill
Front Row: Lee, Larry, Uncle Jeff and Mom
Sitting; Alexis and Kay

Aunt Val sent me this photo yesterday and it got me to thinking...about all the family gatherings we used to have at Grandma's house.  Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  All the cousins would be there.  We'd play outside until Grandma would call us in to eat.  Then we'd watch home movies on 8mm film.  What a great time.  I miss those days.

This photo was taken in the early 1960's. My mom was in her early 20's...and I'm always in awe of her.  She had lost her sight, she was so very young...and Shana looks so much like her.  I love it!

My memories of Grandpa Conklin are few...I remember him being thin and tall...that might of been because I was so young.  I remember him being warm and gentle and feeling loved.  He used to tickle us, he had long fingers that seemed gnarled like branches of a tree...not in a scary way, in a wise old kinda way.

I remember he passed away when I was about 10 years old.  About 1968.  My mom asked if we wanted to go to the funeral and I didn't. I was afraid of funerals until I reached my 30's.  I don't know why...I just was.

A few days later, my mom said she had a visitor in the night.  Grandpa!  He stood at the edge of her bed and said "everything will be alright".  She was blind at the time...but said she could see him clearly and in color!  I always remembered that.

Later when my mother passed away, Shana had a dream...my mom was cussing (which she rarely did) about Damned VHL!...then she told Shana "everything will be alright".  I reminded Shana of this right before her last surgery. 

A few days after Shana's last surgery she told me that, Grandma has been here.  She felt her presence, her support, her love.  She felt her arms around her and felt her laying next to her, lightly brushing her hair.

I had been praying for my mom to  be with her on this journey and to hold her hand along the way.  I asked for her to cradle her in her arms and that we knew...everything would be alright. 

...and it was.

I miss you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment